Although cats can be very smart and use their litter box, sometimes they go in other places in the house. This can be due to many things, including urinary tract infections as well as behavioral problems, so it is important to have your cat checked out by a veterinarian.
When your cat urinates in the wrong place, it can cause the area to smell like urine, which is the last thing you want your home to smell like. Keep reading, and we will go into detail about how you can easily get rid of the smell.
- Use paper towels to get as much urine out as possible. It it’s a large amount, you can use a cloth towel or even older clothes that you plan to throw away anyway. Make sure that you wear shoes so that you do not drag the urine around your home.
- Although it may seem like you should rub the stain, you should actually pour cold water on it and then blot it.
- Using detergent with ammonia in it will actually encourage your cat to pee there again in the future.
- When you do find a good mixture, make sure that you test it out on a small part of the carpet to ensure that it does not the color of your floor. If you are having a hard time figuring out one to purchase, you can try this homemade version of 1 1/2 cups of warm water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. Pour this over the stain and let it soak for about three to five minutes.
- Once it all dries or after a few hours, sprinkle baking soda over the previous stain.
Just because you cannot see a stain does not mean that the urine will not end up smelling at a later date. If you do these simple steps then your home will not have any urine smell in it, and it will hopefully prevent your cat from ever going there again. For more advice on which mixture to use or more tips for owning a cat, contact us today!